Monday, March 26, 2007

What to make of a date...

So after a date - all your friends want to know how it went, what you thought, if you kissed. All that good stuff. Everyone has a different reaction to how you talk about the date. Using my most recent experience as an example - I tell my friends that he was nice and I'm not sure what I think just yet, but will go out with him again and take it from there. Some friends will say things like - oh that's great! sounds like it went well; I'm glad you're being open minded and not dismissing him even though you're not sure. Others will say things like - oh, you don't sound that excited; it must have not been all that great; better luck next time. So which is right? My assessment of him 5 minutes in to the date was no different than it was 2 hours later. Does that mean it's unlikely to change after more dates?

Here's what I think, but it's based on very little on my personal experiences.
- You can connect instantly - something about the person (in addition to looks) draws you in
and hopefully they're drawn to you too.
- If it doesn't happen right away it can still happen, but takes much much longer to cultivate.
Like being friends first or something.

Can both options lead to a long lasting relationship?
If the first option happened to me could I even trust it was anything more than lust?
Would/Could I let someone new in enough for the second option to even be possible?

Since I have no clue - my plan is to keep doors open to people who are nice looking (even if there's no initial OMG!! attraction) and reasonably nice and interesting (even if they're not "cool" or edgy).

No comments: