Friday, April 06, 2007

Neurotheology

I just read this article off of CNN. It's about something I've been thinking for a long long time. Humans are hard wired to believe in religion. Disclaimer - I'm an atheist.

The article.

I have said for a long time that humans feel a need to believe in religion. I actually think it's genetic. This article doesn't go so far as to say it's genetic, but definitely agrees that different religions share similar neural patterns in the people who practice them. Anyway the point of the article is that if you take people from different religions and study them praying etc, you'll notice that their brain patterns are the same. They suggest that religion is hard wired into the brain. The article also makes the point that this evidence is in support of both the religious and the atheists. The religious think it means we're meant to communicate with God. The atheists (like myself) believe it means that this proves there is a human need to believe in God whether he/she exists or not.

Not included in the article is my own personal genetic reasoning. I have a lot of atheists in my family so I suspect there is a genetic basis for this. Then again I also sometimes think there is a genetic basis for liking heavy metal since most of my family likes that as well. In fact maybe the genes are linked as the atheist side of the family tends towards the heavy metal persuasion.... hmmm...

Since we're on the topic (and I've been drinking so therefore even more long winded than usual) - even though I personally am not a believer I don't see any reason why a follower of religion cannot be a follower of science. If a religious person accepts that God is the reason we have genetics, have evolution, etc and that it's all part of his plan then where is the problem? Then again there are a ton of religious people who don't agree and think there has to be a difference. This I think is plain old stupid and just angers me.

No comments: